Wednesday, May 28, 2008

52:44 Homeschooling with a Meek & Quiet Spirit by Teri Maxwell

While I don't see eye-to-eye with Teri (& Steve) in matters of religion (going to happen between a Jew and a Christian, just kind of one of those things), I really enjoy reading their books. They have btdt and don't hide from the problems they've had but rejoice that they have found some solutions and want to share those solutions and help others. Yes, much of their solutions have come from or been dictated by their faith but there is also so much common sense in what they say. They are patient and understanding in their explanations and sincere in their desire to help others who are going through similar frustrations. No doubt about it, homeschooling is not for the weak of heart. It is a hard task that some of us have felt called to do but so worthwhile in the end but so frustrating in the doing. We love our children, and their love for their children is very clear throughout all the books, but it's a different path than most others choose and leads to a very different set of difficulties for the family, particularly the mother. I appreciate all the help they offer to us.

In specific regards to this book, I really felt very deeply down that she has been through what I'm going through. I actually bought this book at their seminar that I attended and actually "heard" the book in her voice as I was reading it because so much of it was the same as what she covered in the seminar. She is so right on target as to what steals the joy and happiness from the day to day homeschooling journey and has very good ideas on how to bring things back on track. Today of all days, I really needed to hear it and I know that this is a book I will refer back to often.

No comments: