Thursday, May 08, 2008

52:33 The Book of Three by Lloyd Alexander

I read The Chronicles of Prydain as a child and loved it. I kept my copies but haven't read it in years but you know what, you can always go home. Reading this book was just as magical now as it was when I was younger. I cared just as much about the characters even knowing the full outcome of the story. I was still swept up in their adventures and transported to that magical place. I can only hope if this book retained so much magic for me that the whole series will do so as well.

For those of you who have never read it, I can't recommend it more highly. This is probably the weakest of the books with the strongest being Taran Wanderer (book #4). It is a wonderful fantasy adventure but more than that, it's a fabulous coming of age story.

Matthew is going to be reading this book for a novel unit and I'm hoping he enjoys it. I'm making Christopher read the entire series and then I'll be having him do a literary essay on Taran's character growth. I have to say that I secretly hope that this will show him that there are many paths that one can walk to becoming a man and that sometimes the searching is worth more than the finding.

No comments: