Monday, February 11, 2008

Happy Birthday my sweet Nico


I can't believe it's been 2 years since our last baby was born and our family was officially complete. It's been 2 years that I'll never forget starting with that moment when I saw 2 lines on the hpt, June 7, 2005. I thought I'd post his birth story here since it's not on my blog:

I called into L&D at 6:30a on Friday morning and was told they were understaffed and not allowing in any new patients and I should call back in a few hours. I seethed by the phone quietly while trying to remain calm. Got a phone call an hour later that my dr had pulled some strings and told them to get me in there and I should go in (thank you Dr Nino!!!)

Got there around 9a, was admitted and assessed. 100% effaced and his head was right there. They started the pitocin at 10a and let me have some breakfast (again, thank you Dr Nino!). Mark and I played games, watched tv, and generally hung out until 6p when I was checked again. I was at 2-3cm and -1 station but they kept losing his hb on the monitors so decided to break my water and do the internal monitor. I got an epidural soon after that was done and it took effect around 7:30p. By 8:15p I was at 4cm, then 6cm and 0 station by 10:30p. Midwife checked me again at 11:02p and I was 9cm and +1 station.

At midnight I was fully dilated and ready to go so they topped off my epidural since it wasn't working as well on my right side. They did such a good job that I could no longer feel the contractions at all so couldn't feel to push. I talked to the midwife and we decided to keep the pitocin going to try to keep gently pushing Nicholas down while I tried to nap a bit and wait for the epidural to wear off enough to push. The midwife and my dr came in around 2a to say that they needed to go do a c/s and see how I was doing. My dr really wanted to deliver him so I told her I'd wait for her and I continued to doze for the next hour. By 3:30a, I was finally really feeling the contractions so we tried a few pushes and things were looking like a go. The nurse got me set-up and I started pushing in earnest at 4a. Dr came in around 5:40a. Nicholas's hb kept dropping when I pushed so they were getting a little concerned and started talking about a vacuum to help get him out (this little stinker was facing to the left instead of straight down and was getting a little stuck tho I personally think he was holding on to my ribs with his toes) but at the mention of the vacuum, he finally made his grand entrance at 5:52a!

No one could believe how big he was considering how small all my others were. 8lbs 7ozs, 21" with an almost perfectly round head and the trademark long fingers, toes, and feet of all my boys.

As I said, it's been an amazing 2 years with him. Sometimes frustrating but so rewarding. This last year has seen so many changes. I've looked back throug
h the pictures and seen how in just the months from May to October of this year, my baby has turned into a kid. He no longer has that soft flyaway fuzz head, but now a full crop of beautiful hair. His baby cheeks are gone and the angles of his face have sharpened just a bit. The twinkle in his eye is still there tho, and I hope it will be there forever.

A year ago, he could only take a few steps before falling down. Now he runs and jumps everywhere, hardly slowing for a second.

A year ago, he still needed help feeding himself, ate in the high chair, wore a bib, and made great messes while eating. Now, he only wants a regular cup like his brothers, feeds himself much neater (for the most part), no bibs and no high chair.

A year ago, he would scream for what he wanted. Now, he uses signs and his few words to tell us. Either that, or he'll go get it himself. LOL

A year ago, he didn't know any shapes or colors. Now he's learning both and trying to count as well.

A year ago, he couldn't walk. Now he takes gymnastics where he bounces on the trampoline. Now he is in a bowling league having a great time. Now he can't wait to do Kuk Sool Wan with his big brothers.

Yes, my little one, you've grown so much in this last year, you've learne
d so much, you are figuring out so many things. But you still are, and always will be, my sweet angel Nico and I thank G-d for you every day.

Happy Birthday Sweet Nico. I love you so much and I can't wait to see what you learn this year.

1 comment:

Kristen said...

what a sweet post. I forget how fast it goes.

Happy BIRTHday