Wednesday, February 13, 2008

52:8 A Thomas Jefferson Education by Oliver Van DeMille

OMG Absolutely brilliant!!! I kept hearing about TJEd and had no idea what people were talking about nor why it was so popular. Then as I continued with educating my own children, I found more and more that the books they were reading, even abridged versions of were ones that I, myself, had never read or had more than a passing knowledge of. "That's not right!" I exclaimed and set off to start collecting classic literature in order to further my own education. I researched various websites to see what was considered a "classic", asked friends and mentors, and started compiling a list. I put my wishlist (which seems to almost grow daily) onto Amazon so I could order a book here and there and I started reading. Then someone said "Have you read A Thomas Jefferson Education? I think you'll like it." So I picked it up and started reading. Talk about an Ah-ha moment! This book truly spoke to my heart about what I feel is wrong with our education system today and how I want to educate my boys.

Truly, I think this should be a must read for everyone, simply in terms of how to better educate yourself and it should be required reading for parents. Even if you are sending your child to public school, simply to open your eyes further and help guide your children through the education process. And if for no other reason than there are wonderful lists of classics in the back: to read to your children, to read with your children, to read for yourself.

1 comment:

Kristen said...

Great Info. I will have to order it. I always thought it was a HS only book.