Monday, June 30, 2008

Apraxia of Speech

We got the diagnosis from Nico's speech therapist today. She says Jonathan has it to a milder degree but Nico's is pretty bad which is what is causing his delay in expressive speech.

Here's a link I found that explained it pretty well:
http://www.nidcd.nih.gov/health/voice/apraxia.htm

It's funny because they had a new poster up on the warning signs of it and I was reading it even before she said anything and was thinking "Boy, this sounds like Nico". The nice part is she was explaining that while many with ASD have this, having it doesn't mean you are on the spectrum. Reading the poster, the big clues were exactly what his developmental pedi and ASD clinic were focusing on when trying to get me to do the ADOS so I'm feeling even more confident in my decision to hold off on that as my gut says he's not (even as my gut told me there was something up with Chris).

What this does mean is that we are in for a much longer haul with him on getting him to speak so other forms of communication are going to be imperative for us. It also means that he's going to be in speech therapy for a long time to come. *sigh* Good thing we like his speech therapist. LOL
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

Insight from the Dalai Lama:
Since I deeply believe that human beings are basically gentle by nature, I feel that we should not only maintain gentle, peaceful relations with out fellow human beings, but also that it is very important to extend the same kind of attitude toward the natural environment. Morally speaking, we should be concerned for our whole environment.

1 comment:

Auntie M said...

Well, at least he can understand us. It will just take time and patience for us to be able to understand him. Luckily he is expressive and good at figure pointing, etc. So although it will be a long haul, he will figure out how to communicate to the rest of the world.
Meanwhile, I suppose I should at least learn to understand some sign language.
Love
Mom