Tuesday, June 10, 2008

So gee, Nico, what are you trying to tell me?

I'm afraid it might be wishful thinking but I'm hoping he's trying to tell me that he's considering potty training rather than practicing for a future career as a stripper or lifestyle in a nudist colony.

Why do I think any of this? Try keeping a diaper on that child (or any clothing for that matter). It's a feat that flies in the face of Nico's determination to streak through life. Especially if, god forbid, that diaper is soiled in any way. He will strip off everything to get it off himself...which of course then leads to trying to keep him from smearing it's contents anywhere else (tho I must say, he's actually been pretty good about this *keeping fingers crossed*). If he can't get his pants off due to shoes or some other thing that actually stops him for a few minutes, that's ok. He'll just strip the pull-up off at the sides and bring it to you anyway. He's very considerate that way.

He's also gotten really into the "I do it" phase even if he can't say the words yet. He's starting to put on his own pull-ups and pants with very little help which is definitely a start in the right direction. Now comes the part of helping him to figure out what it feels like when he needs to go potty and hold it until he can get to one. He does like his potty seat and likes the M&M he gets when he makes a deposit even more. Yet another good sign.

So I was really hoping to work on potty training this summer with him and it looks like I may actually get my wish. Wow! Of course, I'm also hoping to wean him this summer but I think that may be a much bigger fight. The big question, who will emerge victorious?

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

Insights from the Dalai Lama:
At a personal level, as a Buddhist practitioner, I deliberately visualize and think about death in my daily practice. Death is not separated from our lives. Due to my research and thoughts about death, I have some guarantee and some conviction that it will be a positive experience.

No comments: