Monday, June 16, 2008

Starting the weaning process

With his deciding that naps are not for him any more, I've decided to just let that battle go in favor of another battle...weaning. Right now we are starting with nighttime nursing. It's not been bad but he CAN sleep through the night on occasion and I would love to see that occasion turn into more often than not. I told him last night as I was nursing him to sleep that we weren't going to nurse in the middle of the night any more. Of course, he agreed at the time but I knew that it wouldn't be nearly so simple to actually put into practice and I geared up towards the long night ahead.

He woke once around 5:30a (a little later than his usual) and I went straight to him and picked him up to comfort and rock him. Of course, he asked to nurse and pointed to the bed. I explained again that we weren't going to nurse in the middle of the night any more but that I would be happy to stand up and rock him or lay in the bed and cuddle with him. He pointed to the chair to see if I would nurse him there. No dice buddy but good try. After a minute or two of loud complaints, he finally opted for laying in bed cuddling. I laid down with him and he asked once to nurse and I explained it again and he settled into bed and fell asleep within 10min.

I'm not sure how we got away with it being so easy last night but I'm not holding my breath on a repeat performance tonight. Once we do have this down, we'll start cutting out another nursing session, likely first thing in the morning. If he really has ditched his nap, the only other one will be before bed at night. I'm hoping to be done by the end of the summer.

Hey, I can hope.

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

Insight from the Dalai Lama:
As long as there are powerful armies, there will always be danger of dictatorship. If we really believe dictatorship to be a despicable and destructive form of government, then we must recognize that the existence of a powerful military establishment is one of its main causes.

No comments: