but only just. I was up til 1:30a cleaning, organizing, and putting together lesson plans. I still don't have our actual daily schedule put together nor have I updated the chore charts yet. *sigh* Just haven't been enough hours in my days this shortened summer vacation. To start the day off with just the right note, Nico woke up hysterical at 5:30a and refused to go back to sleep. He was cranky most of the day as a result.
But get up and get moving we did (well, not exactly, thanks to his crankiness I didn't get a chance to exercise). Christopher got off to a rocket of a start and even Matthew didn't shirk too much and got it done. We weren't sure where to start Matthew with his math since he hadn't worked on it all summer so we grabbed a test from a few lessons back and had him take that. We basically found 2 weaknesses for which he will review the lessons and then we'll move forward from there. It's about 1/2 or just over in the course so its entirely possible he'll move up to Algebra 1 before the end of the year.
Since getting up so early with very little sleep is such a great idea, what would go better with it than a trip to the grocery store with the two kids who can't be near each other without bickering? It wasn't supposed to go down like that. I had planned to do the grocery shopping with Nico while Jonathan was at OT but apparently our OT forgot that we start school this week and had agreed (or so I thought, it's been 3wks since we talked) that he would be starting back on his school year schedule this week. She wasn't there and I don't have her cell phone number. I figured I may as well not waste the trip and just get the grocery shopping done anyway. The only cost besides the groceries themselves were the two watermelons Jonathan managed to drop on the floor and my sanity. Small prices, no?
We get home and I was reminded why 8 is not an age I enjoy. It's the age of total goof off. It's the age where the brain flies out the window and getting them to settle on anything not of their own devising requires the patience of a saint and the strength of Hercules. I have neither, especially on 4hrs of sleep. Jonathan couldn't do 30min of math review in over an hour. Nor could he be bothered to pay attention when Matthew did History with him. We haven't even started half our classes yet and already today he had to miss KSW and clean the bathroom walls. It does not bode well for the school year if this is how he's starting. If necessary, I may just give up on him doing the history with Matthew. I think it would be fun but the texts are for middle school and we are covering US History of the 1800s so it's not like history will be totally ignored if he doesn't. It's an interesting approach to ancient history and when I redid the lesson with him today, he enjoyed it a lot. I'm not making him do the worksheets or tests for it, just having him write 2-3 sentences about what he learned since he'll do the real work in a few years but I thought this would be a fun thing for him to do with Matthew while I work with Nico. Unfortunately, he just can not seem to work with Matthew. Matthew was trying but Jon was just off in space. Hopefully if we do it sooner in the day it will work out better. And I only plan on having them do it 3 days a week. Here's hoping it works out better than today.
So here it is, almost 10p and all the kids are blissfully asleep while I'm still awake although barely. I'm in desperate need of chocolate and lots of sleep after today.
No comments:
Post a Comment