Sunday, August 09, 2009

Review - Sam's Chowder House

So we pass this place all the time and the parking lot is ALWAYS full. I mean, always. It's been open for a few years and Mark decided he wanted to go there for his birthday so we called and made reservations on our way home from camping.

It was okay.

The bad - The clam chowder (note the name) had hardly any clams in it. Mark's lobster roll (they claim to have been voted one of the top 5 American sandwiches by NBC) was rubbery and dry. The artichoke appetizer was overcooked and dry. The kids mac'n'cheese was bland and tasteless. This can be said for the bulk of the food at the table. The service was slow. Seriously, 5+min to get a bottled soda. The total bill. They charge as if the food was really good.

The good - The view is gorgeous. That's what you are really paying for but since you can easily walk to get to that view, it's not worth it. The Poke was good and the crab cakes were okay.

Honestly, I'm not impressed. Yes, the view is gorgeous but the food just isn't worth it. I don't know if we went on a particularly bad night or if people just keep going there for the view and they are primarily tourists. Maybe locals just go for drinks and appetizers and the view. Not sure but I doubt we'll go back. The view just isn't worth the price imo.

No comments: