Thursday, August 06, 2009

104:70 Your Three-Year-Old: Friend or Enemy by Louise Bates Ames, Ph. D

Generally I like this series as it tends less towards parenting advice and more towards the deeper understanding of why the child is behaving the way they are, not dealing with the specific behaviors but the more underlying issues that the child may not even be aware of or have the ability to express and helping you as the parent to guide and support the child through those issues. Unfortunately, this book had some of that but I frankly found the fact that every time they mentioned 3½ it was here's the behavior and our advice is give the child to daycare/nanny/sitter/anyone but mom to deal with him. WTF?! Seriously?! That's how we deal with an age of independence AND one of emotional insecurity, hand him off. Cause we all know that if they are feeling emotionally vulnerable, give him to someone who wont' care if he gets dressed because then he'll listen. I'm sorry but that strikes me as a load of bullsh*t. Yes, maybe handing him off would be easier on the mom but it didn't sound from everything else that it was in the best interest of the child. I was also offended by their saying that almost all children will benefit from nursery school of some form for all the opportunities afforded there that the home can not provide. WTF again?! There are no nursery schools around here that will take him to the zoo every week or to museums and places of cultural significance. Other than getting to play with more kids his own age as opposed to kids of all ages, there really isn't anything there that I can't do here. Oh, except not care whether or not he does what he's supposed to.

In all, this book was a huge disappointment to me in many ways. As I said, I generally find their books to be informative without offering strict dos and don'ts of parenting but this one really deviated from that and not in a good way.

Page count: 151p/21,526p ytd

No comments: