Friday, August 28, 2009

Comedy of Errors today

It's been one of those days and I can only hope that I am not jinxing myself by writing about it now and that things are finally settling down for the day. Considering that Nico napped, I'm guessing it just won't matter and tonight will be one with much screaming and needs for great quantities of chocolate and alcohol.

The day didn't start bad. A little off but not bad. We had a meeting with our new ES this morning before leaving for all our classes for the day (Nico = zoo, Matt & Jon = Quantum Camp, and Chris = Ian's for biology lab). She was a little late and I hadn't realized that even tho we are only two weeks into our school year that she needed to do a learning record so I hadn't put that together for her. Unfortunately those two things combined led to us being about 35min late for Nico's zoo class. Thankfully those 35min contain his least favorite parts so he was cool with it (and thankfully so was the teacher). The rest of zoo class went off without a hitch. He had fun cutting out stripes for his zebra from blue construction paper and gluing them on. And of course, petting Zoe the Ferret was totally awesome!

It was after this that the day starting going sideways. We went to Taco Bell for lunch as is usual after zoo class. Nico threw a fit because we didn't have time to go inside and there were parking spaces available. I ordered a grande meal with 5 soft taco supremes and 5 bean burritos with no onions, add sour cream. Doesn't sound too hard. Apparently it was way beyond the capability of the person taking my order because after we drove away with our food because we had to be in Palo Alto in an hour, we find that our soft taco surpremes were in fact, crunchy. Now I understand that doesn't seem like a big deal except that two of those were my lunch and it is basically impossible to eat a crunchy taco while driving. They break into a million pieces and make a huge mess. Not good when trying to pay attention to the road and keep a hand on the steering wheel. No big deal, I figure I'll grab a bean burrito. Then I find out what Nico had been trying to tell me when he said there was stuff in his burrito. They had given us 5 bean burrito supremes which have lettuce and tomatoes in them. Now I understand that some people may like those but we don't. I decided since I hadn't tried them I would do so today since I was starving only to confirm that no, I really don't like them. They are gross. Great. Now we have a ton of food that no one in the car wants to eat and we don't have time to stop some place else since it's now lunch time and everywhere we might stop has a line a mile long so we each ate a little to keep us from totally starving and I promised the kids real lunch after their class. I also called Taco Bell and complained. Supposedly we should get a replacement if we go back in the next 2mos with our receipt. Here's hoping.

Despite all this, we do get to the boys Quantum class on time but it was bloody hot. I changed Nico into his shorts and rolled up my pants legs and cursed the fact that I wasn't wearing shorts myself. I was thankful that there was a great park next to their class and took him there to play. We go to pick up the boys who want to play a bit too but as everyone is thirsty, we stop by the car to grab some water bottles. That's when I realize I can't find my keys. They are not attached to my belt loop, nor are they attached to my purse or in my pocket. I flip out and start checking in my car to find that sure enough, for the first time ever, I had left my keys in the ignition and locked the doors. I NEVER do this. EVER! I'm obsessive about attaching the keys to me before locking the door so I have no idea how the heck this happened but it undeniably did. I call AAA to find out that I hadn't mailed them a check so our roadside assistance has lapsed. Thankfully, while lapsed, it wasn't canceled so by paying them it was good to go and they were able to get someone out to open the door and get my keys out. It only took 20min of talking to people on the phone to get things straightened out and then another 45min wait. The biggest consolation of the day was that not one, but two ice cream guys came by while we waited spaced perfectly so we had just finished one ice cream when the second guy came along. $10 later my children are declaring it the best day ever. I'm not sure I concur but at least they were happy and not driving me nuts.

Top this all off with the fact that this kept us from being able to do a quick meet-up with our ES to grab some materials that she got in and it's been a pita kind of day. Thankfully the kids did have fun at their classes so that was good but I'm now ready to be totally done and Mark had some whiskey thing to do tonight so left almost as soon as I got home. Maybe the dinner fairy will visit?

No comments: