Saturday, November 15, 2008

Star Trek: Of Gods and Men

So in the convoluted world of Facebook, Mark friended Chase Masterson and then had to look something up on her and found out about this project she worked on with Nichelle Nichols, Walter Keonig, Tim Russ, and loads of other Star Trek actors. It's sort of a step up from a fan production but not quite the quality of a fully funded project but I enjoyed the plot (ok, I had problems with the full paradox that it created but other than that LOL) and all in all had a great time watching it. They did a wonderful job of recreating the feel of the old Enterprise and it was so nice to see some of my favorites reprising their old roles. For those geeks who haven't seen it, go find a copy and enjoy. I don't think you'll be disappointed.

On a very personal note for this tho, it helped me to tell my teenager "See, I told you so!". We are having friends over to watch some Classic Trek and he was moaning and groaning about how he hated Trek. The funniest thing was as he was moaning, he was wearing MY "Ahead Warp Zillion" shirt that I fairly stole from my mother. He's been stealing his dad's Bloom County graphic novels and since the shirt didn't really fit Mark or I any more, we let him have it. Upon his pronouncement that Star Trek was stupid and he didn't like it, I made him remove the shirt and give it to Jonathan. He groaned further when we watched an episode earlier today and he hid himself in the other room. We shrugged and figured his loss. Then Mark put this on during dinner which got tons of moaning from him since he couldn't escape it as easily. Within a few minutes, he was commenting on how maybe Star Trek wasn't so bad and he stuck around after dinner to watch the whole thing.

I'd like to hope that he will remember this in the future and take our recommendations to heart but since he admitted this morning that I've never steered him towards a book he didn't like and there are still plenty I've tried to get him to read that he's refused to, I'm guessing nothing will change for a while yet. He's still young and we can't be cool. But you know what, I'm cool with that. He'll learn eventually and in the meantime, I still get to say "I told you so" every once in a while. LOL

1 comment:

Auntie M said...

He Doesn't Like Star Trek?!?!?
Sacrilege!!!! Are you sure he's Your Child?!?!
Just keep exposing him. He'll change.
Love
Mom
PS For those of you who don't know, I made Jenevieve a red dress like Uhura's when she was 18 months old. So Cute! She's always liked Star Trek!