Monday, November 17, 2008

My first over-easy egg

Yes, I'm going to admit it. I'm 34 years old and I've never made an over-easy egg before. They look cool but figuring the whole thing out was just too much for my poor little head to handle so I always did the cop out of scrambled. And you know what, none of my kids ever complained until daddy started making all sorts of fancy eggs for breakfasts on the weekends, things like over-easy eggs. Now I get small children coming to me in the morning before I've had any tea and looking at me like this...all while begging me to watch them crack the egg and they know all about how to do it and will tell me what to do and when. Mark happened to be home so I made sure to get the experts opinion on the whole procedure and gave it a try. First tip, do not let your 7yr old crack it on the flat part of the counter and then try to pull the egg apart from the ends. Unless he's the one eating it as in this case so it doesn't matter if he gets some extra calcium in his eggs due to the shells (not sure he actually did but it wouldn't surprise me).

Next, do not flip out so much about flipping the egg that you do a full 360 flip on the egg which will not only break the yolk very effectively (not the effect you are going for apparently) but that will also make sure that the now broken yolk will turn the entire egg into glue on the pan so now even with a spatula you can't possibly turn it over and have it look appetizing.
But hey, at least I did it. It was apparently edible since the plate is now clean and judging by the look on the 7yr olds face I'm guessing the cat didn't have anything to do with it this time. Maybe it won't be another 34yrs before I try this again. Maybe...

1 comment:

me said...

we've only ever eaten scrambled. but i am willing to make any sort of eggs for breakfast so long as i am not judged on neatness ;) looks like you're doing just fine! :)