Friday, March 07, 2008

The Homeschool Court Case

Article on how the case can be interpreted:
http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?file=/c/a/2008/03/07/MNJDVF0F1.DTL
Full brief of the court case:
http://www.courtinfo.ca.gov/opinions/documents/B192878.PDF

I've received several calls about this and how it affects us here. The answer to the question is we don't know. This was a ruling upholding a previous ruling from the 50s yet there is still homeschooling going on with no problems. We are part of a charter school but there is still a lot of question as to how that would protect us or if all charter schools using ISPs would be forced to close. There are still many appeals to be seen in this case so until we hear that either CAVA has closed or we are told otherwise, we will continue on as we have been going. I would be lying if I were to say that the implications of this case did not scare me. I do not wish to have my children be truant or give the law any reason to take my boys from me, but nor will I put them back in these public schools and the privates that I have seen are no better suited to them. Where would that leave us? I don't know. Honestly, I very seriously doubt that homeschooling will be totally outlawed as many are panicked about. I do understand that this whole case started because there were concerns of abuse or neglect of the children and the social workers wanted a better way to supervise their welfare, but children in public schools are still abused and very often it is not noticed or acted upon so I fail to see how this will solve all the problems. The vast majority of homeschoolers do so because they want a better education for their children, one which current public and private schools either cannot or will not provide. I was actually told yesterday during Jonathan's IEP that what we were doing was absolutely the best educational environment for him and I know for a fact that Christopher has grown tremendously since I brought him home so for me and mine, we will watch it closely but will proudly continue to school at home whether via charter or privately until I send my kids off to college or they send me to the loony bin.

If you'd like to help support this fight, please sign the petition below showing your support of a parent's right to homeschool:
http://www.hslda.org/Default.asp?bhcp=1

No comments: