Thursday, March 06, 2008

Ahhhh...summer school

I'll admit it, it's March and I was already dreaming about summer vacation. We always do a bit of school over the summer to keep the kids from going totally brain-dead but there's always been lots of play time and time for mommy to catch up on all the stuff that didn't get done around the house during the school year. So much for that idea this year.

I just got off Jonathan's IEP phone conference. No earth shattering revelations to report. He is making good, steady progress, is a joy to work with, and very smart but it's all still a work in progress. He still has problems with the intelligibility of his speech and his vestibular and bilateral OT issues. It was brought up by our special ed teacher about the idea of him being enrolled in summer school through CAVA so he could continue to receive services for an additional 6wks in the summer rather than having 2½mos with no services (cause at $800/mo that insurance won't cover, we can't foot that bill). Since I knew I would already be working with him on his phonics which we are very behind in due in large part to his speech problems and also because I know how much his speech regressed last summer even with me working with him on what the speech teacher had given us I agreed to enrolling him. I just hope that we can manage to keep summer school from causing burn-out for him or me. I was already considering basically a half-day approach for him over the summer so here's hoping that will be enough to appease the requirements and still leave us plenty of goof-off time. And of course, you know that field trips to Marine World are great educational opportunities to learn science (learning about animals), math skills (if a dolphin eats 50lbs of fish a day, how much do 3 dolphins eat a week), and reading (which way are the tigers).

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
Insight from the Dalai Lama:
We are now in twenty-first century...The world is also facing a lot of new problems, most of which are man made. The root cause of these mad made problems is the inability of human beings to control their agitated minds. How to control such a state of mind is taught by the various religions of this world.

Within oneself, within each single person, one finds many inconsistencies and contradictions. Sometimes the disparity between one's thoughts early and late in the day is so great that one spends all one's energy trying to figure out how it can be resolved. This can lead to headaches. So naturally, between two persons, between parents and children, betweens brothers and sisters, there are differences. Conflicts and disagreements are bound to happen. If so, then how do we deal with them? If we have confidence in our capacity for reconciliation then we will be able to deal with these situations.

I feel love and compassion are the moral fabric of world peace. Let me first define what I mean by compassion. When you have pity or compassion for a very poor person, you are showing sympathy because he or she is poor; your compassion is based on altruistic considerations. On the other hand love towards your wife, your husband, your children or a close friend is usually based on attachment. When your attachment changes, your kindness also changes; it may disappear. This is not true love. Real love is not based on attachment, but on altruism.


State of my sink: Ummmm....yeah, let's not go there.

No comments: