Tuesday, July 08, 2008

Feeling blessed

It's been one of those days where it's so easy to focus on the negatives like the kids not behaving, getting sick from the heat, seeing everything that needs to get done not getting done. But I've been reminded just how precious life is and just how blessed I am and I'm choosing to focus on that instead. I have a wonderful husband who loves me and whom I love deeply, who works hard outside the home so I can work hard inside it teaching our boys. I have four boys that may drive me crazy but that is because they are happy and healthy. We have a house that we can afford, cars that run, books to enrich our minds, food to fill our stomaches, our health and insurance to help when we are sick. For all this I'm grateful.

What brings this up? I heard that an old acquaintance of mine from an online group lost her husband yesterday. He was her life and she loved him deeply but he suffered a heart attack and is gone leaving her and their 5 children to go on living without him. I found out that another acquaintance lost her younger brother 2mos ago. These are women who are my age. Another friend is leaving her husband and a few other friends are worried about the state of their marriages. Many of these haven't been married as long as Mark and I.

It just all served to remind me to stop and remember to be thankful for all that I have, for how blessed I have been and continue to be. I hope you do the same.

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

Insight from the Dalai Lama:
Ultimately, the reason why love and compassion bring greatest happiness is simply that from the core of our nature these are deeply appreciated. The need for love lies at the very foundation of human existence. It results from the profound interdependence we all share with one another. However capable and skillful an individual may be, left alone, he or she will not survive. However vigorous and independent we may feel during the most prosperous periods of life, when we are sick, very young, or very old, we must depend on the support of others.

2 comments:

Robin said...

All so true! There are no guarantees in life so let's make the most of the one we've been dealt.

Auntie M said...

Just found out a Big Name in Fandom died on the car ride down to Westercon last weekend. Highway Patrol says the car just crashed, no one at fault, killing her, badly injuring another, and the other three had only minor injuries.
Again, the reminder that life is too short and weird.