Saturday, July 26, 2008

52:61 Preparing for Adolescence by Dr. James Dobson

Wasn't sure what to expect from this book. I thought from the original description that it was more of a guide for parents to talk to their pre-teens/teens about things with sort of a checklist of things not to forget and ideas of how to approach those topics. That's not what it was.

What it actually is is a book for teens from a BTDT perspective going over the physical and emotional changes as well as many of the social pitfalls. It states what is normal and what isn't and how to avoid, or hopefully at least lessen, some of the typical adolescent problems. In all, I found it a good book for teens tho because of religious differences there are some ares where I disagree and will talk about those with my teen before handing it over but I can really only think of 2 major areas of disagreement in the whole book and on the whole I was pleased with the information and format of it.

No comments: