Thursday, August 14, 2008
52:65 Your 2-year-old: Terrible and Tender by Louise Bates Ames, Ph.D.
It's been a while since I had a 2yr old and I admit, that sometimes I forget how it was. Things are generally smoother here but things are definitely made much more difficult by his inability to talk so this helped me understand what is likely going on in his head right now so that I can try to put myself in his shoes, understand his frustrations, and help him just that little bit extra. Nothing in the series of books is earthshattering in it's brilliance but I do like the few little insights into their brains that I always seem to pick up from reading them. The little why's that are there but the child doesn't understand so can't communicate but knowing helps me as the parent to understand that "no, they really aren't just out to drive me nuts" but rather exactly what the developmental stage is that their brains are going through and how best to guide and encourage but also how to try and enjoy the process of watching them grow and learn.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment