Friday, January 25, 2008

Yet another Nico update

Saw the Golden Gate Regional pediatrician today (I'm guessing she's a developmental pedi but I can't swear to that). I didn't bring a copy of Dr. Cohen's report since I think it's basically crap but I gave her the gist of it. I'd had to wake Nico up from a 40min nap in the car so I was a bit worried about how he would do because of it but he warmed up quickly (granola bars help LOL) and performed all the fine and gross motor tests just fine, pretended to feed her baby doll once he figured out what we were asking of him (he's never seen a baby doll before, go figure LOL), and was very social and playful with the pedi and social worker.

Their impression.....definitely delayed in his expressive language skills (which we knew) and should receive therapy for that but DEFINITELY NOT AUTISTIC!!!! DUH!!! I knew that! They both could not figure out what would give Dr. Cohen that impression and agreed that it must have been a combination of Nico being sick and Dr. Cohen jumping on a few very possible indicators to push his own agenda. Lovely. Nothing I like more than being proven right except not having to prove anything in the first place, especially when it's going to take hours out of my life. *insert huge eye roll here*

So there it is. 2 specialists agreeing with me that's he's not. If the ASD clinic tries to tell me he is, I'll probably rip someone's head off because I'll know they are just doing it to do it, not because he is. The one really funny part of the whole interview was the pedi saying how quiet he was being and wondering if he was always like that or if it was because he had just woke up and the social worker shaking her head and telling the pedi she should have seen him when he was at home. ROTFL Um, yeah, what she said. (He was jumping off the table and running around like his normal maniac self when she visited LOL)

So they are starting the paperwork for his speech services. He should be able to start in two weeks with Jonathan's therapist so I'll be talking to her this week about when we can get them in back to back to make my life easy since, as we all know, it's all about making my life easy. LOL Funny thing is, there is still no freaking headway on resolving his sleep issue which is the reason I saw the stupid developmental pedi in the first place! Ugh!

In other fun news of the day, I stopped at the Disney Store since Mark had the big boys at the mall while Nico was at his appointment. They were having a huge sale and I managed to pick up 2 pairs of light-up Cars shoes for Nico (next 2 sizes up) for $7.50 each! I'm loving that deal! I also got him 2 cars straw cups which were not on sale but he's all about not using his sippy cups these days unless it's the one Cars one I have for him and he's not bad with a regular cup, until he is and makes a huge mess so I really prefer him to have a cup with a lid on for wondering around with. Mean mommy that I am.

We also went to Build-a-Bear to get the Valentine's Day puppy for Nico's birthday. His name is now Luvy Puppy and he has a race car shirt and jeans on. Nico alternately loves all over him with tons of hugs, pets, and kisses...and then he throws him. LOL I'll try to take a picture of the loving part later after his majesty wakes again. LOL

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
Insight from the Dalai Lama:
When I speak about love and compassion, I do so not as a Buddhist, nor as a Tibetan, nor as the Dalai Lama. I do so as one human being speaking with another. I hope that you at this moment will think of yourself as a human being rather than as an American, Asian, European, African, or member of any particular country. These loyalties are secondary.

State of my sink: Shiny!!!

No comments: