Monday, August 15, 2011

More doctor stuff

Gee, I'm pretty sure this is how we started last school year too.  *sigh*  Not sure if I should be thankful that it's me this time or not but it is what it is.  Anyway, did my fasting and had an u/s done of my gallbladder and apparently my ribs.  Lots and lots of jabbing that monitor on top of, between, and up under them.  Ouch!  I really prefer the other u/s I've had, you know the ones where you get to see the monitor and watch your baby on them.  Yeah, those ones.  Much more fun.  Not that I want another one.  Totally NOT saying that.  Just saying that those were enjoyable whereas this one was anything but.

Afterward, I figured I hadn't been abused enough so I went over to the vampires Lab for some fasting bloodwork my doctor had ordered about a year ago.  Turns out the order had expired (really? those things expire?!  How in the world do they go bad???) so I had to go up to her office since they weren't answering the phone and get them to redo the order.  I head up (because apparently I really am a glutton for punishment) and get told by the office staff that no, I need to go over to the screening clerk.  I head over there and wait, and wait, and wait and finally get seen.  She takes about 2min to send a message to my doctor (which the office staff in her department are apparently incapable of doing) and sent me back to her waiting room with a paper saying "patient waiting".  NOW the office staff will actually look at that and do what I asked them to do in the first place.  Because yeah, having me go wait for 15min for someone to type up that order instead of doing it themselves is MUCH more efficient.  Ugh!

But wait, the fun doesn't stop there.  Oh no.  I get back to the Lab and the nice guy checking me in bumps me up on the list since I've been fasting forever at this point (ok, not forever, just 13+hrs) but what this means is I get the guy who is obviously still in training.  I know I'm not the easiest person to draw blood from and apparently I keep getting told I have small veins but this is the first time they couldn't find a vein in either elbow even after doing the whole "slide in, whoops missed it, withdraw a bit, slide over, whoops missed it" thing repeatedly.  The brilliant part?!  After doing this in one elbow and eventually giving up and then deciding that my other elbow is not any good either....he wants to try and one in my hand!!!  Um....they have NEVER been able to get blood draws or IVs into my hands.  EVER!  I stopped him when I realized what he was thinking about and told him to just get it from the inner arm.  He tried telling me it will hurt more.  Really?!  You think that will hurt more than your constantly missing the vein?  Or trying in a place I know you can't possibly draw from but seem idiotic enough to try?  I told him it was fine and to just do it.  Thankfully he got it in one that time and I was finally able to get out of there and get some food.

Now it's a waiting game.  The u/s tech told me I should get a report from doctor in about 3 days.  Not sure when I'll get the results of my bloodwork back.  Last time I got it really early but there was nothing so far today.  I'm not even 100% sure what they were testing this time.  Cholesterol and diabetes screenings I think. I'm not overly concerned which is why I hadn't gone in earlier but now I'm curious.  I'm more curious about the u/s results tho.  I haven't had another episode like I had 1-1/2wks ago but before 2wks ago, I'd never had one so who knows.  I'd rather avoid surgery but at the same time, I'd like to know what the heck was causing it because I don't believe the reflux thing.

And now, just because it was also our first day of school I'm ending this post with a picture of the boys in their new shirts being forced to sit nicely for a few minutes for me to get a picture to immortalize the day:


1 comment:

Auntie M said...

Hey, I've got the same veins. Sorry.
But I do find that the blood test results show up in about 24 hours on the Kaiser Website. Which has been very helpful with Big Harold and all his problems.
I do hope they can figure out what is causing the pain and keep it from recurring without the use of surgery.
Hugs
Mom