Crazy, crazy week. Lots of kids over leading to lots of clean-up and laundry. Not much to report on the remodel thanks to all that but it's life. We are starting to gear up slowly for the start of school on the 15th.
And because that is just never enough around here, today I had to go to the doctor's.
Let me back-track...
Tuesday morning after getting all 6 kids fed and eating breakfast myself (the 2 scrambled eggs someone else didn't end up wanting with a little cheese on top), I got hit with the most excruciating pain in my upper abdomen. It was so bad I ended up curled up on my bed in an almost fetal position, crying, and breaking out in a cold sweat. It felt just like when I went to the hospital before Jon was born and I found out later my liver was failing. This of course scared the crap out of me. What felt like forever but I'm guessing was closer to about 20min later, it passed and while I didn't feel great, I was out of pain and I continued with our plans to go pick up 2 more kids and bring them back to the house. I didn't forget about the episode but as the days passed and it didn't happen again, I figured it was likely a flukey thing and went about my business.
Until 3am today that is when that same pain woke me from a sound sleep and left me moaning, crying, and writhing on the bed. What was worse is Nicholas came in about the time it started after having a potty accident. I made Mark deal with that as I was incapable of doing anything but wishing for death. Then Nicholas kept coming back into my room wanting to cuddle and the last thing I wanted to do was have him thrashing next to me as I was fighting to not scream in pain. He went away crying even tho I was trying to be nice about it. Not one of my greater mommy moments but also not one I'm going to beat myself up over.
Needless to say, this seemed to worry the crap out of Mark but based on my previous experience, I was confident it would pass so saw no reason to leave the kids at home alone. It passed and I did eventually get a bit more sleep. I did some research online this morning to figure out if this was something that should likely pass on it's own or if it warranted a call to the advice nurse.
Um, yeah.
After talking with an advice nurse and then getting a phone consult with a doctor, I got an appointment for 12:30p. Odds are high that it is either reflux or gall stones. They did labs to rule out infection and check my liver function and those have already come back just fine. Based on friends stories and a little internet research and my own gut instincts, I'm guessing it's likely gall stones. I will be taking the the reflux meds that the doctor prescribed to be sure but I dont' have high hopes for it helping. Right now I have an u/s scheduled for the 15th so hopefully we'll have some answers then although I am to call if I have another episode.
My biggest hope is that this is something easily taken care of and gall stones while not fun, do seem like an easy thing to fix as they just remove the gall bladder. Most people don't notice the lack of it so I'm kind of leaning in the hopes that this is what I'm dealing with. It would be a lot better than seeing a small alien in a barber's hat on the u/s screen. Not sure I can deal with a song and dance, man-eating alien.
No comments:
Post a Comment