Monday, August 01, 2011

Kids, Kids, and More Kids

We are nearing the end of summer vacation and with the return of the school-year looming, that must mean it's time for some sort of craziness so that there is no possible way for us to either finish the remodel or get our kids established on a decent routine prior to the start of school.  Last year it wasn't sleep-overs that caused those things to happen but doctor's visits but every year it's something.

This year it's sleepovers.

Unplanned we have our nieces spending tonight with us.  Tomorrow I'm picking up Eleven and Zinnia and will have all 4 girls here in addition to the 4 boys.  It's still not established if we send all 4 girls to Mark's parents for Wedn night or if we are hosting again here.  Thursday I take Eleven and Zinnia home but I'm sure we'll have the nieces for a few more sleepovers before the school year starts.

I've had people look at me like I'm absolutely nuts when I volunteer my house for these kinds of sleepovers but really, I don't mind in the slightest.  Are things a bit more chaotic? Not so I really notice.  A bit more of a mess to clean after everyone has finally gone home but that's about it.  I honestly love having the bustle of all the kids around which is part of the reason I have 4 of my own.

I will say tho that trying to go shopping with 5 of them today did push things a bit.  3 boys, 2 girls, all poking at each other and bouncing off the walls like siblings who haven't seen each other in ages.  I lost track of how many times I just stopped the shopping cart so I could do deep-breathing and counting.  Thankfully everyone survived even if my grocery budget didn't and apparently I didn't scare the kids too badly as it was after that they decided they needed a sleepover tonight.

Now I'm under no illusions that they will get much sleep but so long as they keep it down so I can get some, I'm fine with that too.

No comments: