Monday, February 23, 2009

The Highs of the Day

Now that I've whinged about today I want to share all the fabulous news I got in a separate post where it won't get overshadowed.

I got home from therapy today and finally received a call from the Spec Ed department at Ocean Grove to let me know that Jonathan had finally been approved for enrollment! The had a few details to go over and I'm now working on finalizing things with the head of the department. There is no problem with him keeping his current speech therapist but they are looking into if they are already contracted with his current OT. They didn't suggest anyone else in the area so hopefully even if they aren't currently contracted with her, it won't be too big an issue to get that taken care of so things can continue on as they are.

Now I've been told by many people that there is a huge problem getting assigned to an Education Specialist (or ES as they are known, the person who handles all the state paperwork and helps you get your funding and helps you spend it), especially mid-year and at one point (when no one I was talking to knew there was a problem with Jonathan's paperwork) that we should pursue other schools for the remainder of the school year. So imagine my complete and utter astonishment when I get an email from our ES!!!! I've now talked with her by phone, we've exchanged a few emails, and we are meeting with her on Friday to sign all the paperwork and then Matthew and Jonathan will officially be enrolled! I'm sooooo looking forward to this since it should make a lot of things much easier around here schoolwise since I can do more unit studies with the two of them instead of everyone having totally separate subjects. It's been nuts and I'm really hoping this will help streamline things for me.

On top of all this, Mark managed to download the entire English collection from feedbooks.com which is over 2600 books for the kindle. I'm going through now and figuring out which ones were already on my wishlist and then I'll have to go through my huge lists and figure out which ones are on that. Of course this makes me as happy as a kid in a candyshop but then I get an email from Amazon telling me that my Kindle has shipped a day early and will be here on Wednesday instead of Thursday and that I can go ahead and start shopping for books right now and they'll go right to my Kindle before I even get it!!! Seriously, how cool is that?! Yeah, I know I'm geeking and just wait til I start in on the Gutenberg Press site for more books. I need to figure out how many memory cards I'm going to need to store all these. All I can say is thank goodness those are small and the files themselves are relatively tiny too.

So my new toy will be here in about 36hrs and my children will be enrolled in a new charter school 48hrs after that. Now if we could just convince Nico he's not really Rum-Tum Tugger...

1 comment:

Auntie M said...

Wow sounds like some things are finally coming together. I'm glad for you.
I was just pointed to an ebook organizer http://calibre.kovidgoyal.net/
I'm going to try it out for my pda, since it does let me read books on it. Not as nice as a Kindle, but I do put more than just a calendar on my pda.
Love
Mom