This is Todd's 2nd solo foray into Pern and I thought he acquitted himself well. He definitely seems intent on staying in the time period he is exploring and fleshing out those characters and that time in society. I found some of the story very reminescent of the earliest books by Anne, you can definitely see the influence and even the total copying of some of those ideas tho he goes on to embrace them and do his own things with them which was good (otherwise, what's the point).
I enjoyed this one and look forward to reading more from him. On the other hand tho, I do hope that Anne or Todd will eventually come back to Pern present day (as we know it) to the characters that we grew up reading about. Yes, they are starting to fade away but their children and those that they were training were also becoming interesting in their own rights and I'd like to see how Pern adapts to its new technological advances.
Page count: 538p/4851p ytd
2 comments:
I haven't read Dragonheart but I have read Skies of Pern which centers on Lessa and F'lar's son, F'lessan as they near the end of the current Pass. Co-authored by Todd and Anne and a wonderful look at other aspects of the Pern society that have been skimmed over in other books.
Yep, read that one. I've read everything in the series and that book left a lot of questions that could be taken up down the road and I'd like to see how they deal with that. So far Todd has stayed away from known characters (not that I can blame him) but I would love to see it continued. Skies of Pern was actually the last book Anne did by herself. They co-authored Dragon's Kin, Dragon's Fire, and Dragon Harper which were the books preceeding this one in regards to Kindan, the Watchwhers, and the new firestone.
Post a Comment