and first in a long time for Jonathan and Matthew. Originally it was just to be Jonathan and Nicholas doing swim since those are the two I'm worried about in the water but Matthew asked if he could do swim lessons too and we did stop him early and there are some things I know would help make him safer (and it's great physical activity for him) so I told him that if they would let him swim with Jonathan or at the same time as Jonathan or Nicholas, it was fine. Turns out they had no problems with him joining Jonathan's class so the two of them swim together (and are the only two in the class so it's nice and small). Today they were both tested by the sub to see what their levels were (regular teacher will be back next week so they'll meet her for the first time then). I thought Jonathan would likely be a blue level and Matthew a red and turns out I was right. It's good because that means they are one level apart so that lets the class work and it shows that Jonathan isn't too far off from being ok in the water but he is a bit on the weak side so the swim lessons now will pay HUGE dividends in the summer with him being strong enough that I don't need to freak every time he gets a few feet away from me.
As for Nico, well, as with all my boys, he's a fish. No surprise. He took to his teacher quickly (and it turns out she lives down the street from us) and had a great time in the class tho by the end of the 1/2 hour, he was obviously slowing down. The concentrated swimming and activity rather than being able to sit a bit when he felt like it definitely challenged him a bit which is good. I'm hoping he sleeps well tonight as a result. LOL He participated in the circle songs (not like he has much choice since I'm the one moving him through the water LOL) and the only thing he didn't like was when we tried to work on his back float. I've not met many kids who do like that as it's a lack of control for them and very disconcerting but we'll do a little bit each week and I know it will get better. The teacher asked me how many ribbons he had and was a bit shocked when I told her none, it was his first class. I went on to explain that I used to teach there and had worked with him at other pools but was wanting something a bit more formal and consistent which is why we are doing swim classes again. She understood and agreed with my private assessment that he was at a green level as was the other girl in the class which made it a very advanced toddler class. Nicholas's one disappoint of the day was that he isn't allowed on the slide until he turns 3 so he has another 2 mos to wait. The weird thing is that means in another 2mos, I'll be phasing out of the pool with him so he's going to have to trade mommy for slide. I don't think it will be a contest, after all, he has me the rest of the time. LOL
Sorry I don't have pictures today. Christopher was doing yearbook stuff at Park Day today with Matthew's camera and the battery in my camera was dead. Definitely next week tho.
No comments:
Post a Comment