Monday, October 27, 2008

A week in my life, Day 1

I really loved this idea from Mel. This is exactly why I've been trying so hard to keep up with my blog is to have a journal of this time in our lives. I have a lot of great memories but I know that there are a ton of little things that I've forgotten over the years and I know that my memory is just getting worse (something about sleep deprivation I think LOL). I know that I tend to pick and choose the more general stuff in our days to talk about unless one of the kids does something that really stands out but I thought "hey, I'll try to post some of the more mundane stuff for a week", not boring per se, but just the more every day stuff that goes on as well as the regular crazy. So here we go with day 1....I knew I wanted to start this today so I went grabbing for my camera to take with me for our usual Monday morning stuff. Unfortunately, I lost a lens cap at the pumpkin patch a few weeks ago when I was there to take a quick picture for a scavenger hunt (it may still be in my car somewhere but I'm not holding my breath) and Matthew lost the other one on Saturday. He swears it's in Mark's dad's car but we searched it all over and well, no sign of it. I'm guess he accidentally dropped it out the window as we were driving because he was taking pictures of the surfers at the beach on the way to soccer.


What morning would't be complete without a fight between Matthew and Christopher. This time? The culprit was toothpaste. Seriously. Apparently they were both ready to brush their teeth at the same time and Matthew turned on the water to put his brush under. However, as he did so, Christopher pushed his brush out of the way to get his water first. Matthew pushed back and some of his toothpaste got on Christopher's brush and the last of the toothpaste Christopher likes got onto Matthew's brush. So Christopher punched Matthew. Over TOOTHPASTE! Yes we had quite the talk about that because that has got to be right up there with the stupist reasons I've ever heard for punching someone. I was really proud of Matthew tho for walking away from it and not retaliating. Christopher on the other hand got his KSW class revoked for the day.

Our usual Monday morning consists of therapy for Jonathan and Nico. Matthew was with me so we could get some work done while the other boys were at therapy but he choose to get in on the act there instead. I can't say as I really blame him since Jonathan's therapy does look pretty fun. In good news, his speech therapist (seen playing with Nico as she's his therapist as well) said that he is progressing so well that she's hopeful he may be able to graduate in 6mos! I knew he was doing well but that was wonderful to hear. Nico also showed us a few new words today. Matthew worked with him for a few days and he now says "Pow-er" and out of the blue he now says "nonny" for Jonny. So cute!

Now what kind of kid doesn't want to do school over mochas and fruit plates at Starbucks? I can't understand why Matthew keeps jeopardizing things for the sake of goofing off. I have to say that I'm really enjoying these weekly trips with the big boys. It's awful for my diet (I gotta learn how to say "tall, no whip") but the time to sit there one-on-one with them is so precious to me. I admit that I'm missing the "me" time that I used to carve out there but at the same time, I really am getting some much needed relaxing time with them which is very refreshing in it's own way.And what day around here wouldn't be complete without an injury? With 4 boys and a small house I count my blessings that most things aren't so serious they can't be cured with a hug, a kiss, a booboo pack, and maybe a dumdum lollypop. LOL
Now this is something that never ceases to flabbergast me. We had our housecleaner over this morning. Seriously. This was taken about 4hrs after she left and this was a good day! No wonder I hate cleaning up. I'm actually right when I say that they literally go around behind me and make messes in an area as soon as I pick it up. Where is that magic cleaning wand when you need it?
We ended up skipping KSW tonight since Christopher had lost the right to go and Matthew's knee is still bugging him (he tweaked it there last week). Jonathan was disappointed but what can you do? We decided to play Fluxx during dinner instead!
It was so much fun and several of the games went so quickly that we ended up playing 4 hands before dinner was over. Of course, even more amazing was the fact that Nico not only sat and ate all his dinner, but even asked for and finished seconds! That child NEVER eats dinner with us! Afterwards when he noticed that I was done with my dinner, he grabbed my plate and told me "you done" and took it to the sink for me. I told him when he came back that daddy was also done and he proceeded to take all the rest of the dirty plates and put them in the sink. I love seeing stuff like that! Yeah, I know, it doesn't take much to make me thrilled mostly because that kind of stuff seems to be a rarity around here.Of course, things had to go sideways again. As Jonathan was getting ready for his shower, Christopher apparently told him that "yes, I do want to see if you can pee in the toilet through your underwear". I have no idea where this all came from (and sorry, no pictures of that LOL) but the result is No, you can NOT pee in the toilet while standing in front of it in your underwear. I think someone needs to add that to the list of things you learn when you have a house full of boys.

2 comments:

Robin said...

I love all the 'day in the life of' blogs. I should probably do one, no?

Auntie M said...

Yeah, I'll have to print it all out and share with Grandma.
Mom loves hearing about the great grandkids and her grand daughter. It keeps her connected.
Love
Mom
PS Mom cried a bit when I read to her about Boo. She never knew Boo save through our stories, but she shares in your loss.