This was the last book for Christopher's book club this year. Henty is billed as a "history author for boys" and in this book we follow a fictional character, Malchus, through Hannibal's march on Rome. We learn about the political fighting within Carthage that eventually led to it's fall and the failure of Hannibal's plan to conquer Rome. We get to see the what a brilliant strategist he was as he continued to defeat the Roman army at every turn even tho he was outnumbered and they were usually much better supplied.
I found the book a bit slow in parts but a very interesting read. Chris thought it was totally and completely and utterly boring, only slight less so than Two Years Before the Mast. In another plus (from my viewpoint), most of Henty's works are available free for the Kindle. I downloaded everything I could find figuring I'll get around to it eventually. :)
Page count: 201p/20,574p ytd
No comments:
Post a Comment