Monday, June 07, 2010

104:63 The Great Brain is Back by John D. Fitzgerald

The 8th and final installment in the Great Brain books. This was published about 20yrs after the 7th from notes found after his death. It was nice having a new book to read in a series that I loved as a child but something was missing. The tone just seemed a little off all the way through. Not bad by any means, but the spark seemed dulled a bit and I didn't find the ending as satisfactory as after the 7th. I felt that Tom had a harder edge to him. Also half the chapters were focusing more on problems that he was solving but again, there was a harder edge to it. The dog fights, saving an Indian who was being accused of stealing, and then when they were captured by outlaws. All of that happening in one book kept it from being as light and fun as the others. I enjoyed it and so did the boys but keep thinking that maybe they should have stopped after 7.

Page count: 120p/18,809p ytd

No comments: