Wednesday, July 01, 2009

Some things don't mix

And sometimes you have to learn that lesson the hard way. Today's lesson was that front loading washing machines with their low water usage do not work well to properly finish cleaning tie-dye clothes. Yesterday I admit I screwed up when soaking them in hot water and synthropol while rinsing other pieces but today, I did the cold water rinse and put them on a rag before transferring them to the washer and while the white areas are not the super blue from yesterday, they are very dingy which is not the look we are trying to achieve here. *sigh* Maybe someday I'll have a big enough house that I can have a separate washing machine for doing tie-dye but in the meantime, I'll have to prevail upon my step-mom's wonderful nature to do the rinse for me. Such a bummer because some of the items would have been absolutely spectacular if they didn't have a bluish cast.

**ETA**
Well, I did a third batch with a double cold rinse and they came out great. So it can be done but I wouldn't recommend it for more than a few items...at least not if you want to still be on speaking terms with your hands.

No comments: