Wednesday, January 06, 2010

I'm raising gamer dorks

Yeah, I know, this isn't exactly the shock of the century but some days, it really hits just HOW dorky my kids are. Okay, we have a gazillion games in the house. If the kids can't play video games, the concept of going outside does not occur to them at all. They just grab a game, and another game, and another game, and another game. Don't like that mommy wants to watch the hockey game? Go play a game on the other table. Mommy and daddy just got a new game? What are the rules?

Seriously. It's insane.

Today, Nicholas has decided that he wants to play games all day. I convinced him between games to do some "school work" but really, it was game day. All day long. I can't tell you how many different games were played or how many times. We all had to take turns playing with him. The favorites of the day were Trouble (Stitch version, go figure), Don't Wake Daddy, and Panda Bear/Brown Bear...What do you see?

During dinner, I was playing Don't Wake Dinner with Nicholas and Jonathan and that's when Jonathan took it upon himself to make sure I knew just how dorky we really were. Apparently we were going to the kitchen to get a banana because "I like bananas. Bananas are good." (cue horrid northern English accent) and if we got caught daddy would tell us "Go to your room! I'm very, very cross with you. Go to your room!" (again with the northern English accent) For those of you with a dork factor less than a google (which obviously isn't me), those are both quotes from the Doctor Who episode "The Empty Child" with the 9th Dr. played by Christopher Eccleston. No, I didn't just look any of that up. I knew it by heart. Yes, I am that dork.

But you know, I'm okay with it. I've embraced my dorkiness. I wasn't exactly fighting it but I knew it was totally hopeless when I recognized the weird noise coming from Mark's phone as the comm signal from Star Trek.

So yes, my name is Jenevieve and I'm a dork and I'm turning my kids into dorks too. Christopher is the funniest in that he is the dorkiest when it comes to the weird crap he can pull out about his favorite subjects (anime, manga, video games, zombies) but then gets indignant when called on being a dork. Sorry kiddo, it runs in the family. Embrace it and find others who appreciate it cause you are stuck with it.

No comments: