Tuesday, January 05, 2010

104:1 Robinson Crusoe by Daniel DeFoe

Matthew read a very abridged version back in 4th grade and loved it but got very indignant when he discovered that it was not the full story so I bought him a real copy. We finally started it during our story time last year but the language was so dense that it took us quite a while to get through it. The descriptions of how he managed to survive were wonderfully detailed and complete. There was a lot more religion in it than I thought but thinking it through further, that was definitely to be expected and it wasn't over done.

We all enjoyed the tale immensely but it was not an easy read aloud book. For the first 100 pages or so, I would have to stop after every paragraph and make sure Jonathan understood what was going on as the language didn't flow the way we tend to speak today. After that point tho, he seemed to generally be able to follow along with it fine with only the occasional question. I'm not sure I would do this as a read aloud again for someone so young and I definitely don't think I would do it with someone younger as I'm not sure it would keep their attention until the part when it becomes easier to understand. Nicholas did sit with us at times to listen in but never for the whole time and never consistently as he would with the Oz and Pan books.

Page count: 254p/254p ytd

First book done, only 103 more to go! LOL

No comments: