Oh, yes, it's bad. I knew at the time it was bad but did I listen to myself? Nooooooooo
It all started 2 weeks ago....
Someone told me that Inkspell books was having a sale on Children's books. I'd managed to avoid the place like the plague since it's opening a few years ago because well, me and bookstores are such a bad combination. I enter the threshold and my will vanishes in a puff of smoke. This one was worse and I knew it. They had educational toys and a Thomas table set up. Nothing worse than a bookstore where I can set the kids to play and still see them while I browse.
I stayed strong, I stayed away, and then 2weeks ago I broke.
I thought maybe I could just go once. It didn't have to become a bad habit. But I knew deep down I was lying to myself. I knew I'd be back. It's like a drug. I just need one taste and that's it. I'm hooked.
And so it has begun. I remembered a couple of books that they had last time that I had wanted so I went back to see if they still had them. See, they are a used bookstore. There are some new books but a lot are used so the prices are good. Which is good but not so good because then you get into the "oh...just one more and who knows if it will be here next time" mentality. I fall easily and hard into that trap.
They didn't have the books I was looking for this time but did I make my escape and count my blessings to get out without spending money? Of course not! Junkies are not that logical. Here went my mental conversation...
"Oh, I had that on my wishlist because I read it ages ago and liked it but then outgrew it but would like to share it with some friends now but didn't want to pay full price so I'll just grab it here"
"Oh, there are two more books in the series by Katherine Kerr that Mark got me book 7 in 10yrs ago. I'll grab those as I try to complete the series so I can actually read it"
"Oh, Charles de Lint has been being talked about on one of my Sci-Fi/Fantasy Shelfari groups. I should grab this one and see if I like him"
"Ooooooo...there are some of the Margaret George books I've been wanting to get. Let's throw those on the pile"
"Hey look, there's Watership Down. I need to read that one, I'm sure of it"
Then of course the kids wanted some toys and since they were ones I'd been meaning to pick up, well, I did. Personally tho, I think I still deserve a medal for showing some restraint. I didn't start building up my Stephen King collection like I'm longing to do. Nor did I go browsing through the classics section. And I didn't touch the Dune stuff either.
Tho I'm sure I'll be there again. And I'm sure those things will jump into my arms at some point. Apparently all books know that my house is a haven for them. Once they come in, they are loved and treasured and they never leave again.
No comments:
Post a Comment