Mike loaned Mark a couple of books by Thompson and I figured since Mike was always going on about them and now Mark had read them, maybe I should give it a try and see what all the hoopla is about. Mark said start with this one, so I did.
It's definitely different than the stuff I usually read, a much more bleak look at life although throughout there are threads of hope. It shows a look at the life of one who lives in the moment, going from place to place, going with the flow of whatever is without stopping to exam what they are really doing or why...until they do stop to start examining that. What happens then? This book really hits that stage, Paul has been living that life but with his new job in San Juan that life starts to lose its appeal. He starts to see the value in having an apartment and a car, some stability. We really just see the transitional snapshot of his life and while you can't really like the guy, he's too sleazy for that, you can't hate him either. It's very strange because you care in some way, mostly in that you hope he gets his head on straight and you don't want to put the book down because you want to see if he can manage it.
Page count: 204p/5,966p ytd
No comments:
Post a Comment