This was recommended as part of the Prairie Primer study we are doing but in order to get a copy, I had to get a used library copy as it's no longer in print and our library doesn't carry it. I found it to be a wonderful way to introduce Matthew and Jonathan to many different aspects of the Native American culture as it was and their famous people. I liked that the book covered the majority of tribes, including many I had never heard of (made for some interesting pronunciations and I apologize if I said anything incorrectly). In some cases, we saw a typical day or season of a tribe. Or maybe it was a special festival. Or we read a story about someone famous. There were a lot of color and b&w illustrations. We would look up some things in our DK Native American book as well to see exactly how their houses looked or their clothing or their artwork. I also liked that the stories were short enough to keep everyone engaged without overloading the details on an 8yr old (the book is recommended for 10+).
I would definitely recommend it. It sparked a lot of interesting discussions about the treatment of the Native Americans by the white man, about their culture, and their stories. We read the Dover Favorite Native American stories at the same time to get other glimpses into them as well as had the DK reference on hand. I think the three together helped to get a good starting idea of the wonderful and rich heritage they were forced to give up.
Page count: 95p/4,617p ytd
No comments:
Post a Comment