Saturday, February 13, 2010

104:22 Breathers: A Zombie's Lament by S.G. Browne

I just have to say this first....This books is soooo wrong on so many levels. I should not be laughing out loud while reading scenes of a group of zombies having a bbq of someone's parents. That is wrong. I should not be laughing at zombie haiku's about eating human flesh. That is wrong. I should not be laughing at recipes for Breather BBQ or Breather casserole. That is wrong. I can say that about so many things in this book but if you haven't read it, you wouldn't understand. You can't help but laugh. The book is so out there but so real at the same time, and yet it's all just so wrong.

Let me now back up and briefly explain the premise of this book. We follow Andy from his death to his awakening of his new unlife as a zombie and his ordeal as one of the undead in a world of Breathers. We are with him as he hits bottom, living in his parent's basement drinking wine and watching tv all the time because he can't go out and do anything else. We cheer him on when he starts making futile protests about the way the undead are treated. We are with him as he starts to find purpose in his unlife. S.G. Browne shows us that Zombies have feelings and dreams too and that to deny them basic human rights is unfair and unjust. So what if they need to eat human flesh to really feel better? Surely we can work something out. Right?

I have to say that this book has surpassed WWZ as my favorite zombie book. It's dark but it's funny. It focuses on the zombies as something other than mindless undead feeding because they have no choice. And it's a great read.

Page count: 310p/5,762p ytd

No comments: