Thursday, February 11, 2010

104:19 Archimedes and the Door of Science by Jeanne Bendick

Matthew's book club book this month. This one is classed by Amazon as YA without an age range which I found interesting. This is not a fiction book but rather a simple history of Archimedes, his life and his discoveries. It explains how he discovered the basis for pi and finding the volume of a sphere. It tells about his invention of the screw and levers. It talks a lot about some of his higher maths as well. But it's all done simply so that even at a younger age, you can grasp the concepts and understand the basics behind them. Matthew loved it and couldn't put it down and I found it highly enjoyable as well. Is it a complete life history, of course not, but it's a great starter text for those who want to start with a simple overview. It makes the history of science fun for those who don't like to seek out history. It gives the relevant history of the time to place the person correctly which is always important rather than just giving the facts of the person without the context. I had this on my wishlist along with others in the series (Living History Library) for homeschooling purposes because of Matthew's love of science and maths and it's high ratings and this has just confirmed that this is a great series and I definitely need to add the rest to my homeschooling library sooner rather than later.

I definitely recommend this for those homeschooling one who prefers the science of things to the history of things. This will capture their attention easily and get the history in easily and painlessly.

Page count: 131p/4,816p ytd

No comments: