Saturday, June 06, 2009

104:50 Skin Trade by Laurell K. Hamilton

The latest in the train wreck that is the Anita Blake series. The best thing I can say about it is that at least this time we didn't have to wade through pages and pages of tired, boring sex scenes. Apparently someone finally got through to her that those weren't that exciting or original as she thought. Unfortunately, this meant we got treated to even more pages of Anita's tired, repetitive, internal dialogue. Seriously, the only things that weren't dragged up this time were her mother's death and the abandonment of her first fiance. Everything else was all there and we got to hear about her internal conflictions on sex and being a monster at least every couple of pages. The saddest thing of all tho was how soft Edward has become towards Anita. Actually I'm not sure which was worse, that or the fact that we had 470p of build-up to a 2 page finale with the uber bad-guy (and a paragraph finale to the other uber bad-guy). Seriously? It was pathetic. I'm having to tell my friend that they will have to wait to read the next one until they get it from somewhere else because there is no way I'm paying premium for the next hardbound. I can't believe I did it this time around. There is no growth in these characters, there are maybe 2-3 different plots that she uses over and over again, and it's just become about how fast she can churn them out. So far the Merry Gentry series hasn't degenerated but my advice is, if you haven't already gotten involved with this train wreck, pass it by. If you have, try to stop after Obsidian Butterfly. The rest is all just a bad dream that you would rather not witness.

Page count: 486p/13,672p ytd

No comments: