Monday, November 09, 2009

Taking time to be thankful

It's November and the month of Thanksgiving. I always feel sort of sorry for November and Thanksgiving, sandwiched as they are between the two more commercial holidays of Halloween and Christmas. It seems to so rare that people actually stop and think about all they have to be thankful for these days and even less so during this month as they are rushing around trying to get things ready for the all important "holiday season".

Today on Facebook, one of my friends posted a challenge to have us post in our status messages something that we are thankful for on each day this month. I think it's a great idea and beyond participating, I'm going to post those things here as well and may just post some more randomly as I think of them. I've always wanted this blog to be more a positive walk down memory lane but I know that all too often, I get caught up in the crazy stuff and don't take the time to stop and think about, and post, the small successes or fun things that are going on. I know that I always seem to be running at a million miles an hour trying to get everyone from one thing to the next and falling super far behind with the house stuff. I moan and whinge about it but I also know that if I really wanted things to be different, I do have the power to change them. One of the things I want to change is my mindset. I want to be able to look around and see more positive things and be more thankful. I don't think I do a horrible job of this on a regular basis but I'd like to do even better. Most days I feel like I'm reminding myself that I should be thankful rather than truly feeling it so I'm going to try this to help make a more positive outlook a habit rather than something I'm always reminding myself to have.

So a few fun things I'm thankful for today:
  • I'm thankful that Cocoa Bella's had the Irish Coffee truffles that I love in stock after almost a years absence. It's a little thing but I was so excited when I saw them that I squealed in delight before buying a box of just them.
  • I'm thankful that Jonathan made his own omelet this morning. He loves omelets and Mark taught him how to make them yesterday. He also knows how to make eggs over easy (tho he needs a little help with the flips).
  • I'm thankful that even tho Nico only slept 6hrs last night, he's in a very good mood about it.
  • I'm thankful that Jonathan's soccer team won their division and is going on to the area tournament. I might grumble about the extra practices when I thought soccer was going to be over but he's so excited about it since none of Matthew's teams ever went on and I'm happy he gets this opportunity.
  • I'm thankful for Starbucks which I will be drinking a gallon of to make it through today thanks to Nico's lack of sleep. LOL
More to come later. :)
What are you thankful for? Think of a few things and put them in your own blog or post them here.

No comments: