Tuesday, January 08, 2013

Ok, I won't walk and read at the same time!

It's so fun to watch kids as they grow and learn and then get excited about things.  I'm a huge reader (as anyone who has paid any attention knows) and I have always hoped that even with all the technological toys around that my children would at least know what a book is other than as a torture device used by schools to deprive them of video game time.  Chris is an avid reader.  Matt is more reluctant but if you can find something that snags his interest, he will easily devour it.  Jon had the hardest time of all of them learning to read and is a slower reader but has really been coming into his own this school year, reading the Narnia books for school but enjoying them and now reading the HP books on his own time for pleasure.  Truly a beautiful thing for me to see!

Now there is Nick.  I got him a book for Hanukkah that has been THE THING that got him reading.  He is a strong reader anyway but naturally would prefer shooting people with nerf weapons or bugging his brothers to reading a book.  That changed with Underworlds: The Battle Begins by Tony Abbott.  He devoured the first book in the series in under a week, almost completely on his own.  Jon bought him the next two in the series and he is close to finishing up the second one, again on his own.  He refuses to wait to read to me and just plows ahead.  Then I have to read it on my own time so we can discuss it.  He thinks that's hilarious all on it's own.  Today, he came up to the office to read because I was on the computer there and I asked him to come downstairs with me and he just got up and kept reading as he walked.  I told him no reading while walking down the stairs so this was his answers.  Sit down and slide while continuing to read.  At least he listened to me!  Can I just say I love watching my kids get this into their books!

No comments: