Thursday, March 11, 2010

104:28 The Great Brain by John D. Fitzgerald

I read these books as a child and really enjoyed them. I remember shaking my head at the crap that TD got away with and how gullible JD was on such a consistent basis. Now having my own kids, I see how it happens all too easily and made it such fun to read this book again with my own children on either side of me listening in. I can only hope they don't get any more bad ideas on how to treat each other. What we are discussing is the differences in the way the boys played 100 years ago, the inventions that we have now, how school is different, how the pace of life is different. I also think it's a nice contrast from the Prairie books that we are also reading as it shows life just a few decades later in a town rather than as a pioneering family. Differences yes, but still a lot of similarities too, especially in attitudes. I think books like this are a wonderful way for children to learn about history but in a relevant way that makes it easily understood and accessible to them while still being enjoyable for the parents. What a win!

Page count: 175p/7,403p ytd

No comments: