Friday, July 08, 2011

104:56 Dragongirl by Todd McCaffrey

2010's installment of Anne McCaffrey's Dragonriders of Pern written by her son. This continues his story of the third pass. Lorena has lost her queen and Fiona has just returned from the past with the weyrlings. In a tragic loss, all the Telgar dragons end up between and Fiona lands as Weyrwoman there. A cure has finally been found for the plague but the weyrs are already depleted and do not have enough dragons to protect Pern from Thread for long.

I enjoyed the story for the most part and think Todd has finally done a good job of taking over the reins from his mother. I did find all of his character relationships a bit confusing and, to be honest, unnecessary for the most part but that was truly the only flaw I found in the book. Unfortunately, it was such a big part of the book that it really stood out. Otherwise, a compelling story with unforgettable characters that you grew to care about almost as much as his mother made you care. Not quite a Lessa, F'Lar, or Robinton but he may be well on his way and I look forward to seeing him succeed.

Page count: 482p/17,149p ytd

No comments: