Sunday, January 23, 2011

Whirlwind Friday and Chillin' on Saturday

Friday was just insane and by the time it was really over, I pretty much collapsed in a heap on the couch until I finally went to bed. The day looked like this:

6:30a - Get up and get Chris moving so he can make his bus to college

7:00a - Help Chris get some coffee in him, make sure he's eaten, has his swim stuff all packed into his backpack so he doesn't lose something on the bus, has his Read assignment printed out and in a folder rather than stuffed into his overstuffed backpack, has everything he needs for his book club, and that I know where everything is for KSW

7:30a - See Chris out the door. Start waking up other kids and Mark

8:00a - Deal with the groggy people, making sure they get coffee and breakfast

8:30a - Eat my own breakfast and get some tea in me

9:00a - Grab a few minutes to practice forms and then techniques with Matthew

9:30a - Our ES shows up for our monthly face-to-face meeting. Spend next 2hrs going over what Matthew & Jonathan have been doing for the last 20 school days and breaking up fights between the Nicholas and Jonathan over the game they are playing on the Wii

11:30a - Work on cleaning up kitchen and figuring out lunch, pull meat out to defrost for dinner

12:00p - Leftovers are served

12:30p - Realize that Chris is supposed to bring snack for book club, start pouring over recipes with Jonathan to figure out what we are making

12:45p - Come up with snack plan, go eat my own lunch

1:00p - Find out from Jonathan that we don't have all the ingredients for what we decided to make. Pour over more recipes before finally saying "Sorry honey, I know you like to cook from scratch but go grab that box over there because we are out of time".

1:15p - Boxed brownies finally get in the oven. Realize that Jonathan has put them in a pan that will require the longest baking time. Swear quietly under my breath and then smile at him and tell him it will all work out.

1:30p - Get meat browned and in the crockpot with everything else to make a simple Beef Strogonoff for dinner.

1:45p - Keep staring at timer wishing brownies would hurry up and get done already. Get Nicholas dressed for his Little Ninjas testing. Text with Chris to make sure he knows where he's going.

2:00p - Book club is starting. We are still home waiting on the brownies. Get text from Chris that he got off on the wrong stop and how does he get to bookclub from where he's at. Call and give him directions.

2:05p - Make sure Christopher and Jonathan's KSW bags are packed since they have Black Belt Club at 4:30p. Make sure Mark's paycheck is in my purse to be deposited because the direct deposit got messed up.

2:10p - Get brownies out of oven and pray they are done enough. Line cookie sheet with a nicer looking rag and pile everyone and everything into car and take off.

2:25p - Drop off brownies 25min late at book club, grab Christopher's backpack since it weighs about a gazillion tons and there is no need for him to walk it over to KSW.

2:32p - Get to Little Ninjas testing at KSW only 2min late. Sit down and breathe sigh of relief. Take pictures for about 10min until battery on camera dies because like an idiot, I forgot to put the freshly charged one in. Swear quietly to self again for not having at least grabbed it.

3:30p - Nicholas now has his green-striped Little Ninjas belt and is the happiest little person in the world. Get his jacket, new belt, old belt, my knitting bag, and camera all into the car and head over to the bank. Find out that because our account is new since our old checking account had to be closed after Jonathan lost a rent check a few months ago that there will be a hold placed on the funds. Beg and plead that we aren't new customers (been there over a year and are in good standing) and just the account is new can they possibly shorten the hold or something. Get the good news that the funds should be available the following day. Breath sigh of relief, get the $100 cash I can grab right then and leave before something can go wrong.

3:45p - Take Nicholas and Jonathan to Baskin-Robbins in celebration of how well Nicholas did at class all week and then at testing. Enjoy some time just chilling with my two youngest over ice cream.

4:15p - Walk back to KSW and drop Jonathan and his bag off there. Forget to ask Chris about the brownie dishes and head to Safeway to grab a few staples like milk, coffee, and fresh fruit.

4:55p - Drive in crappy traffic to get home. Review forms and techniques in my head while driving to keep calm.

5:25p - Get home, check on dinner, go over some work with Matthew and grab a protein heavy snack and read to relax a bit

6:00p - Get a call from Chris asking for a ride because the bus is running late. Tell him no because by the time I can get out and over there, the bus would have already picked him up and I'll be late for my testing. As I'm saying this the bus pulls up.

6:10p - Mark gets home. He texts with my brother to find out where he's at. Stuck on 92 is the answer. I get water going for noodles and wait for our uniforms to finish their spin in the dryer.

6:35p - Noodles are done, get those mixed in with dinner, get uniform on. Breath easier after hearing Mike is on Hwy 1 and will be here shortly.

6:40p - Mike arrives, a few minutes of chat and then Mark and I head out for KSW testing.

7:00p - Get to KSW. Start trying to control breathing before usual breaking panic sets in. Nothing else really gets to me about testing except the whole breaking thing and this was worse than normal since I had to break with a low-spin kick which I got talk the week previous and haven't practiced since. Nor have I ever practiced breaking in class which is probably why I get so freaking nervous every single freaking time. Testing group is huge so we get split into 2 sections which is nice as there are nice breaks between activities. Gives a nice chance to relearn breathing after kicks, especially since we did some I've never done before. Hope I didn't screw those up too badly.

8:30p - Normally testing is over by now but not with this huge group.

8:45p - Breaking starts. Panic sets in.

8:50p - Get called to break. Try to remain calm and focused. Only sort of working. Do practice kick. Board gets set-up. Try to break and end up kicking over it. Whoops. Try again and go right through. Easy peasy. Why was I worried again? Oh, yeah, cause I always am and it has gone the same way every time.

9:10p - Get my red belt removed and my brown one tied on.

9:15p - Everyone's done and we can head home for dinner.

9:30p - Home. Dinner, ice cream, lump on couch because I'm too sore to move and too amped up to go to sleep. Chill with kids, Mark, and Mike.

12:00a - Finally able to sleep. Go to bed and collapse.


Saturday was slightly more sane. Got Mark up and out by 9:15a so he could go to the YAW parent session. They gathered some grief counselors to provide information to parents on how to best help our children deal with Auri's passing. I took Jonathan to a Pampered Chef party at a friend's house. After the party, I left Jonathan there for a playdate and went home. Mike and Matt were just getting a game of Small World set-up so I got in on that and then went to go pick-up Jonathan. Begged Mike to stay a bit longer so we could play one more game when I got home. He left and then Mark and I dealt with telling the boys that Auri was gone. It's got to be one of the hardest things in parenting. We talked and cried and held each other for a bit. Jonathan came up with the idea to watch our copies of Christopher's plays over dinner as a tribute which I thought was a great idea. There will be grief counselors at YAW classes this week and they will be working on something together for the memorial next weekend. We've encouraged Chris to attend class with Jonathan this week.

I'm hoping today will be slightly more normal. Papers to grade, lessons to plan, laundry to fold, stuff to box up and get out. Chris has a lot of work for his college classes due tomorrow so he has to work on that and the weather is lovely again so I'm shooing the other kids outdoor for a bike ride to get them away from the idiot box. Matthew has barely been out the last month and I'm hoping the fresh air will do him some good.

No comments: