Thursday, January 20, 2011

Good-bye Auri

One of the things I'm not sure I've conveyed enough in my blog is how much Christopher loved being a part of Young Actor's Workshop the last two years and how much Jonathan has been enjoying it this year. It is, quite simply, a fantastic program where children put together a "guided improvisational" play where every child has a voice in how it gets put together. This was SO big for Christopher to have a creative outlet where he was guided but had a say in how his character would develop. The two plays he did, Babies and Funky Fieldtrip, were hilarious and so much fun for everyone involved. He was saddened when his college schedule did not allow for him to be part of YAW (as it's known) this year. I was sorry that it looked like we may no longer be part of the program when Jonathan decided that he wanted to give it a try this year after seeing how much fun Christopher had. Thank goodness because I was almost afraid I wouldn't have a reason to dress like a pirate and work the Haunted House this year (check out that video, it is seriously cool and all the actors are students from YAW with all the work done by the parents).

So why am I writing about all this now? I just received word that Auri, the creator of YAW (you'll see him in the video), has lost his battle with cancer and passed away. We just learned earlier this week that the meds were no longer working and he had discontinued treatment and entered hospice. This morning I heard that he had stopped eating and drinking. The end was quick and peaceful and he was at home surrounded by his loved ones at the end which is all any of us can ask for when our time comes.

Our lives were enriched by knowing him and he will be greatly missed. As I told Jonathan last night when we broke the news that Auri was dying, he had a tremendous passion for life and was lucky enough to be able to do what he loved doing. He loved his students so much and it showed in everything he did. I remember last year getting calls from him to Chris to discuss ideas about the play and his apologizing when some of Christopher's ideas didn't get in. That is how much he cared. I still have his emails asking if Christopher was coming back each year because he loved Chris's enthusiasm. Those little touches are things he did constantly and meant the world to everyone around him.

Good-bye Auri and thank you for everything you've given to all those who knew you. I'm glad you are no longer in pain and I pray that you surrounded by children to guide and nurture who will love you as we did.

No comments: