Tuesday, August 24, 2010

Update on Chris

First, I want to thank everyone who has been asking after him for the concern and prayers. To say its been scary is an understatement. I'm very thankful that he's been able to not have it bother him so I can do all the worrying.


Now, here's where we are at today. We still don't have any answers. The neuro-ophthalmologist spent 1½hrs examining his eyes including doing a full dilation with the fun drops. He said there isn't anything wrong with the eyes themselves so that is ruled out. The fact that his brain brings the double images together so he's not seeing four of everything and that he has not shown any disorientation from this could suggest that this is something he has been dealing with for a long time and if that is the case, it may just be the way he is wired. BUT we are going to take this at face value and that since he just noticed it, we are going to proceed as if this is something new. He has ordered a Vision Field Test (I think that's what he called it) to do a full test of his peripheral vision and a MRI to start with and may do an EEG depending on the outcome from those tests. We'll see him again in a few weeks to discuss the results and he'll do some other testing then as well (a few things that with prisms he couldn't do after the dilation). He is guessing this is something in the optic nerve but highly doubts that it is a mass or growth pressing on it as that would exhibit other symptoms so that also rules out anything life threatening. It also rules out most autoimmune things I've seen that list double vision as a symptom because all of them have something else come up but the neuro-ophthalmologist said that if all the tests come back without anything abnormal, this could just be the way he is wired and we should monitor it but otherwise not worry. His pediatrician did say that if none of these tests turn anything up, we are welcome to come back and see him and we'll look into other things. We'll see where we go when that time comes but it's several weeks into the future and we are taking one thing at a time right now on this.


After spending 1½hrs in a small cramped Drs office, I took the boys to Taco Bell for a quick bite before taking all 4 of them to go spend more time in a small cramped Drs office. What can I say? I'm apparently a glutton for punishment. Everything looked good with everyone tho and no one broke anything so I'm calling it a success. Nico and Matt got shots. Chris was due for some but I elected to hold off until we figure out what is going on with his eyesight. The pedi didn't bat an eyelash, just handed me the slip to take to the clinic when we are ready to do those. Matt has been having issues with his shoulder so the pedi looked at that and it looks like he has a loose rotator cuff muscle and would benefit from PT so we have a referral for that (cause you know, my calendar was all full of spare time that needed to be filled up). The biggest disappointment came for Chris tho when he learned that he has apparently shrunk since they measured him earlier this month and he was only 5'5.25" which put him in the 30th percentile while Matt measured in at 5'2.5" and the 90th percentile. I'm sure the groans about this have just started since I could see the evil glint in Matt's eye about this news and the only bets being taken are how soon he'll be teasing Chris about it.


So that's the news after spending almost 4½hrs at the Drs today. I'm very happy that we just have KSW tomorrow and nothing else. Thursday we get to go back to the Dr to have them read Nico's TB test (cause you know I'm not qualified to see that it's already disappeared) and I'll get to do the Costco shopping then since I couldn't fit it in today.

No comments: