This year tho, he's a Junior in high school and while I don't feel like I'm doing a bad job with him, I think starting to get him some college experience would be good, especially on the English stuff where I feel like I'm either being too harsh or too lenient. An outsider may be a better judge of his material. Also that whole foreign language thing? So not happening here. LOL
So since he can take up to 11 units, we've gone for what I hope will be a nice balance. He wants to do his foreign language (Japanese) and so does his friend so they will go together so long as they can get in (currently waitlisted so we'll see what happens first day of class). He is going to take the Astronomy class here at the local satellite on the coast. It is being taught by someone who taught it for high schoolers last year so that should be a great fit and fun for him.
And then there is English. No one had told me where he placed last year so I had to call and find out as we were looking at classes. Turns out that as a starting sophmore, he placed in the course just below English 100! Yes, that is me doing a super happy dance that he did so well, so young! Instead of having him redo the placement test, we opted to just have him take that course since it would allow him to ease into college requirements a bit, especially since he wants to take basically a full course load (for a concurrent enrollee).
So I'm over here vacillating between two emotions at a very rapid rate. On the one hand, I'm so proud of how well he's done and this big step he's taking. On the other hand, my baby's going to be going to college!!! He's even talking about taking a full load next semester as well and we'll be trying to do a few classes at home as well (although we'll see about that, those can be dropped if the college stuff needs more time).
Why do they have to grow up so fast?!
1 comment:
I didn't realize he was already in high school! I knew I had a high schooler, but all your kids were supposed to stay the same age. lol It's definitely one of the advantages of homeschooling to have them knock out a bunch of college credits.
Post a Comment