Thursday, January 07, 2016

Broken things

Well, it's been a week but one that I'm happy is coming to a successful close.  Mark left for NY Sunday morning and apparently that was the universe's wake up call that stuff needed to break around the house.  Monday wasn't so bad. Matthew has his pre-op appointment which ran a little late but then we had to pick up his prescriptions then because he had to start taking the antibiotics the day before his surgery and I didn't want to try to find time for a third trip over the hill this week.  Turns out, that was a good call on my part even if  it almost (but not quite) made us late to swim team.  A HUGE thank you goes out to my friend Cecilia for having Nick over for a playdate while I was with Matthew.

Tuesday the rains hit.  Now don't get me wrong, I love the rain. I love the sound and the smell and what it does for my yard.  What I don't love is our drainage issues.  Our first month in this house we ended up with a lake under the house from the rains when our sump pump went out.  I believe it was a year ago that we bought a new sump pump because the one that came with the house died. Well, that one died on Tuesday. I went outside to check things and found it not working and things obviously needing to be pumped so I called Mark and he talked me through a few repair things that I hadn't already thought of to no avail so Jon and I went out in the rain and figured out a way to assemble the pipe that was out there to allow the backup pump we have to drain into the ditch outside out house.  It wasn't pretty but it got the job done even if it did mean that we had to go out on a regular basis to plug or unplug the pump since it doesn't have an autoswitch.  Now that Mark is home, he took the dead one apart and it's toast so we are buying two new ones so that there is a real back-up to the main one that can easily be swapped in when this happens again and no building drainage in my yard.  LOL

Back on Monday I had seen a message on Freecycle that someone had a lot of free wood to give away.  Considering that our house is all electric with room heaters, we use our woodstove in the living room as our main source of heat during the winter so long as it's not a spare the air day.  This was a great haul and I was happy to get it.  I finally got a hold of the guy and made arrangements to get the wood Wednesday after I dropped kids off at swim team.  However, when I went to start the suburban so I could haul wood it refused to turn over.  Huh, that's weird. Seems like a dead battery. So I tried to jump it with the Cruiser but to no avail. It at least started ticking a bit but it wasn't acting like it was going to start easily so I threw kids in the Cruiser and went. I ended up taking Chris with me and loading up the Cruiser with as much as it would take (Cruiser deserves major kudos for hauling this load around!), came home, threw the wood over the fence and then went to the Homeschool Game Night.  I was transporting extra kids there which ended up working out better than I could have imagined because it meant dropping off the older ones who ordered dinner so everything was out by the time I got back from picking up 4 hungry boys from swim team.  Bonus!  On top of all this, Mark's flight was delayed by several hours so I'm so very, very thankful that I had said I couldn't pick him and my friend Linda had volunteered and was still willing even when his plane didn't get in until 1:30a.  Seriously, I have some of the best friends in the world and I'm not sure I would have gotten through this week with what little sanity I still possess without them.  Thankfully, Mark was able to get the truck started today although it's still not sounding super happy but hopefully whatever is still making it cranky will be a less expensive thing to fix.  Because he is also super wonderful, he took Jon to swim and filled the boot of the suburban with more wood from that pile.  Apparently there is still lots left so I'll be doing the same thing tomorrow.  I'm guessing at some point we will need to actually stack it somehow in our yard rather than just throwing it over the fence but you know, it worked and it was pretty fun to do! LOL


And then there was today.  Up at 5:30a so I could be out of the house by 7a to get Matthew to the oral surgeon.  His orthodontist said he needed all his wisdom teeth out before they erupted and after seeing on the xrays were impacted and there was no room for the others to come in nicely either, I can't argue.  Today was the day and now Matthew may not be broken but I'm guessing he is not exactly going to be my sweet happy boy when he finally awakes from his slumber.  Thankfully they put him completely under for the surgery (although Sleeping Beauty took 2+hrs to wake up after they were done because it's Matthew) so I spent 4 hours sitting in a waiting room trying not to fall asleep.  Once I got him home, he drank a little protein shake, took pain meds and antibiotics, and promptly fell asleep.  Doctor says surgery went well and he should recover nicely so the big thing for the next few days will be keeping him as comfortable as possible.  


So yeah, that's been the week so far.  I have spent the rest of the day mostly chilling because I'm exhausted although I did find the energy to rearrange a few things in the upstairs closets for ease of use that I've been meaning to do for a while.  Also, despite all this stuff going on I've been continuing to track my food and keep the carbs down (nothing short of a miracle considering the serious lack of sleep I've had the past few nights) and been hitting my step goal every day.  Not sure I'm going to hit it today but I'm going to try.  I'm also going to try and get a lot of sleep tonight.  Lots and lots of sleep.  

ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ







No comments: