Looking back on on 2013 I realize that I pretty much fell off the map in a lot of ways. Getting settled took a lot of work and then trying to get us through the rest of the school year was more. By the time we hit summer, I was cooked/fried/toasted/you name it. I went on a ton of field trips with the kids and got them to their activities but other than that, I pretty much vegged and let my brain become a vegetable. After the previous two years of going non-stop with the remodel, buying a new home, moving, and then finally selling our old home I think I was due. As we got ready to enter the new school year, I was hopeful about getting onto a better schedule and setting time aside for things like blogging and getting back to doing the things that refresh my mind when I was hit with the news that one of my brothers had chosen to take his own life. While we weren't particularly close, the news was still a shock and is something that I've had a hard time wrapping my head around. I sank into myself and pretty much did only what needed doing for several months as I dealt with the emotional turmoil. It was sometime in November that I started working to come back to the real world but of course, that meant dealing with the holidays and all that entails plus trying to deal with the backlog of stuff that wasn't being dealt with during my break from reality. I still have a lot of stuff that needs dealing with but I'm slowly working my way through it all.
As for how I did with my goals last year, well, I'm sure anyone reading this can pretty much guess that I didn't do much with any of them. Ok, I lie. I did pretty good with my reading goal and finding peace within myself. I call that a win. Something I had no idea was going to happen was a resurgence of something resembling a social life. I joined my friend's book club which gets me out of the house once a month for some adult time, I've ended up on the AYSO board again, and this month some friends have decided to start up a craft club which I'm part of. I've also just been getting out with friends.
This year, is going to be about more self-care. I really do want to eat better as I do feel sluggish and am not having as much energy as I would like. I also want to get back to working out, again because I feel better doing it and I do want to finally complete a half-marathon. It didn't happen last year due to injuries but this year I'm more hopeful. The black belt is on hold for now due to finances and Jon's swim team schedule but I hope to one day complete it and I will continue to practice on my own until I can get back to class.
My photography is something I want to do in combination with getting outside more. I'm also really hoping that this year we can do more work in the yard and maybe even get the vegetable garden going and I can start playing in the dirt with some flowers too but it's been a really dry year so I'm not sure if that will happen or not.
While I've gotten a ton of unpacking done, there are still boxes to sort through and areas to reorganize. I don't know that it will all get done this year but I do want to continue making progress with it although I don't know if Mark will ever be able to park a car in the garage. His beer making stuff is kind of taking over that space. Well, that and the kids fooseball table. Why else have a garage tho? LOL
While last year ended with a month where I was barely home, this year is starting off much quieter and I've only left the house one day so far. It won't last but I'm enjoying the quiet time while I can, working on dealing with stuff to try and make the start of the next semester go smoothly. We'll see how it works out.
The one thing I do really want to work on is blogging more and if nothing else, I want to make that a priority. The kids are growing up so fast and there are so many fun things that they do or say that I know I won't remember years from now and I want to be able to capture at least some of it.
1 comment:
craft club? ooooh
Post a Comment