Tuesday, October 27, 2009

104:81 California Gold Days by Helen Bauer

Read this with Matt & Jon while studying the California Gold Rush. It's actually from their great-great Aunt Laura and it was one of the books she used when she was teaching CA history back in the 80s. It was published by the California Department of Education specifically for that purpose. Lots of information and tons of pictures. It took us through the time when Mexico still owned the land through Sutter's coming out and his friend discovering the gold at the sawmill. We learned how miners lived, their entertainment, how they found gold, and how cities and towns were affected. It talked briefly about how the mail system developed from stage coach to pony express to the train and telegraph.

I can't say I learned anything a ton from it but I thought it was a good presentation for the two of them and it was neat that it had belonged to one of their relatives.

Page count: 110p/25,813p ytd

No comments: