Friday, October 06, 2006

Feeling hungover...

But what a night! San Jose Sharks home opener against St Louis. I should have known it would be an eventful night when as soon as we arrive and I take the boys to the park, Jonathan falls and gets a bloody and scraped nose. Thankfully my mom was there so she watched the bigger two while one of the bluecoats took us to find an EMT. I wasn't too concerned about it as it didn't seem too bad but she wanted to make sure he was fine and he wanted an icepack. In 9 years of going to Sharks games, I've never had any problems so I figure I'm due and it's a minor thing. All is good now so we head back over to the park so the boys can play and I can feed Nico his dinner.

Now it's time to go settle in to our seats and get some dinner for everyone else. We get there just fine and I'm waiting for Mark to get back so I can hand off the baby now that I have the boys orders. My mom shows up with edamame for the boys to keep them happy until I get their dinner. Mark shows up, I hand off Nico, and take Matthew with me to go get 5 dinners.

Hot dogs won't be ready for 5 minutes. Okay, on to next place to get other people's food. No fish'n'chips. Okay, we'll settle for popcorn chicken for Mark. Now I have Christopher, Mark, and my dinners and am heading back for Jonathan and Matthew's when Matthew says his stomache doesn't feel good. I ask if he's hungry or something else. He doesn't know. Get to the hot dog/nacho stand and am just asking if the hot dogs are ready when Matthew starts throwing up! I comfort him (not much else I can do at this point) until he's done. He thinks he had a bad piece of edamame as one didn't taste right but now he's feeling better and now asking for his nachos. Ummm...NO! I get Jonathan's hot dog and a pretzel for Matthew to try first.

Now we are heading back to our seats and find out the score is already 2-1, and not in our favor. Sheesh!

Now it's half way through the 2nd period and Jonathan is already whining about wanting to go home as he's tired. "We're half-way through honey, just hang on and we'll get you ice cream soon."

Now we are in the 3rd, up 3-2. Now St. Louis scores but it's under review. Please don't be a goal, please don't be a goal, please don't be a....Darn, it's a goal. Game now tied 3-3. Biting nails and edge of seat sitting can now commence.

Wait, forget sitting on the edge of your seat. Just sit there and look around bored. There's now a hole in the boards and it will take 20min to fix it. Sharkie starts the wave and almost the entire arena is doing it because there is absolutely nothing better to do.

Game on! Finally! Of course, now the momentum is nil, the ice is crap, and the boys on skates don't have the game intensity going.

Power play is on. Good. We scored twice during some 5-3s, maybe we can do okay on the 5-4. SCORE!!! What do you mean it's under review???? Of course it's a goal!!! Everyone starts yelling at the video review judge to rule it a goal. It's already after 10p!!! Just let it be a goal! The call comes down, thank go....WHAT?!?!?!? How could you say that's not a goal??? I lean over to Mark, "Someday the headline is going to read 'Beserk fan leaps into video goal judges booth and makes sure he makes the right call'". We both laugh and the power play resumes.

GOAL!!!!! We're up 4-3 now! Jonathan is begging to know how much longer. "Not much honey, only a few more minutes." "Look, under a minute to go now and we'll go home." "Just 10 more seconds."

S*** They scored with their goalie pulled and we are now heading to overtime! I apologize profusely to Jonathan but it's going to be a little longer. I pray silently for it to not go to a shootout.

WooHoo!!! Half-way through the 5 minute sudden death overtime, our beloved Sharks score!!! Victory is ours! Tired (it's after 10:30p now) but extremely happy we head out for the car. Get the boys in their pjs, teeth brushed, baby nursed, and head for home....

But Nico isn't happy being in the car. He's overtired and cranky now. Pull over and try nursing again. He settles better this time and away we go. Drop off Mark at his car and drive home being thankful the game didn't go any later because I can barely see the road as it is.

But I'm still thrilled for such an exciting start to the hockey season!

3 comments:

Auntie M said...

Trying to dig out from the sleep deprived hole I've stuck myself into, and I had a shorter drive than you did.
It was Hair Raising (and boring) all at the same time.
Let's hope the home games are a little less Interesting in the future. With Easy Wins, of course!

Robin said...

Wow, what a night. You are all true survivors!

sis said...

amazing night, sounds like fun in a wild sort of way ;-) glad you got there and hope all is well with the troops. :-)