Thursday, June 09, 2011

104:46 The Poisonwood Bible by Barbara Kingsolver

Told by the wife and 4 daughters of Nathan Price, an evangelical authoritarian minister, who have gone to Congo to open a ministry there. They are woefully unprepared for the world that awaits them and everything they brought with them is unsuited for life in Africa. While they are there, Congo is fighting for it's independence from Belgium and then suffers the loss of it's first elected Prime Minister at the hand's of the CIA. They learn that even if you leave Africa, Africa stays with you and doesn't let go.

This is not normally a book I would have picked up but it is on several of my recommended reading lists so I had picked up a copy and then it was on Christopher's summer reading list for his bookclub so I decided it was time. I was incredibly surprised at how quickly it gripped me and didn't let go. I found that I just had to keep turning the pages to find out what was going to happen next and I read it in just a few days. An incredible read and one I would highly recommend.

Page count: 543p/14,485p ytd

No comments: